Sunday, February 22, 2009

It is hard to get good mole in PA!

On Friday night Adam and I decided to give Mission Burrito a try. It is the little Mexican joint around the corner from us. If you know anything about me, you know that I LOVE Mexican food. Really, really LOVE Mexican food. In fact, I will eat chips and salsa (not the jar kind, but homemade) until I make myself sick, really, I can't stop myself. It's like heroin.

Anyway, they boasted a salsa bar (please see above comments about chips and salsa) and if you bring your own tequila they will make you margaritas. "How can we go wrong?" I thought. So, armed with our trusty bottle of Jose Cuervo Especial, we headed out.

We could not have been more wrong. Their salsa bar was lovely, and lucky for them they give you a teeny tiny basket for chips and then tell you there is only one free refill. Otherwise I would have eaten every chip in the building. Adam got a steak quesadilla, and the steak was so tough he could hardly eat it. I got the enchiladas mole (I do love me some mole). If you don't know anything about mole it is basically a rich gravy made with hints of peanut butter and chocolate, and a good mole is to die for. This was NOT a good mole. It was actually more like a sauce made from powdered hot chocolate mix, and on chicken enchiladas it wasn't so tasty.

But the worst part, by far, were the margaritas. When I handed over our bottle of tequila for them to make us a tasty drink, they informed me that they bring us the mix and we pour in our own tequila. Ok, that's weird, but whatevs. Then they bring us a plastic pitcher and two teeny tiny glasses (I guess they match the chip baskets). When we get a look at the pitcher there is about 2 inches of some sort of small particles lining the bottom of the pitcher. I thought, well it's just the mix, I'll stir it around and it will be fine. Ha! Turns out, best we can figure, that their idea of margaritas is Country Time Limeade with a whole lotta sugar. These were, by far the worst margaritas we have ever had. I think we barely made a dent in the pitcher they we so hard to get down.

All in all, it was a wonderful date night with my husband. Sometimes the bad food dates we have are better than some of the good food dates that we have. Mostly because we talk less when we are eating good food, but when there is bad food involved we seem to cherish our conversations and making fun of the food always leads to lots of laughter.

2 comments:

Kate Hanley said...

Brian loves Mexican food as well so we'll have you guys over and he'll make some AND we'll make proper margaritas!

Courtney Riggar said...

Holy crap! Please. I need some yummy margaritas to restore my faith in humanity.