Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Trip to DC (part one)

This past weekend Adam and I took our first trip to DC, well Silver Springs, MD actually. Our good friends Deb, Louie, Serena, and Black Kitty moved there about a year ago. I'm ashamed to say it took us that long to visit. But it did. We hadn't seen them since our wedding and we had missed all of their birthdays and Christmas. So we loaded the Santa Fe with gifts and headed down.

We didn't make it there before Serena went to bed, so it was a nice surprise for her to wake up and find company. We spent our morning drinking coffee and watching Serena dance to her Disney CD player. After Breakfast and Dora the Explorer we had our birthdays and Christmas. The adult portion was pretty typical (although still very fun), so we only took pictures of Serena opening her presents. For her Birthday Serena got a 25 Cloth Shirt. We didn't get a pic of that just yet.

I'm gonna stop for a moment and make a shameless plug. 25 Cloth is a company started by my cousin Brad Webb. Every time you buy a t-shirt you not only get a pretty sweet piece of fashion, but you also change a life. The t-shirt Serena got also gave a family in India a chicken which gave them a source of food and income in eggs. Check them out www.25cloth.com.

For Christmas we got Serena a V-Tech digital camera for kids. It is a pretty awesome piece of technology.
This is Serena helping Dad open the camera. He wasn't getting it out of the package fast enough, so he clearly needed help. As you can see, Serena is VERY helpful.

I also had a lot of fun playing the take a picture of Serena taking a picture of me game. Serena thought that was pretty fun too.

Once we sort of collected ourselves we decided to head for the zoo. The National Zoo in Washington is super cool. I went there when I was in 8th grade, and Adam had never been. Serena, however, is a pro at the zoo, she knows exactly where she wants to go and in what order. And that order does not at all follow any logical walking path. On Saturday it was Pandas, Elephants, Monkeys and Frogs. Although we didn't make it to the Frogs as they were in mud for the winter.

Armed with her new camera (she didn't actually go anywhere without it-seriously. I had to confiscate it in the bathroom so she wouldn't take photos of me on a toilet) Serena shot away at everything. The panda eating, the monkey in the corner, the elephant drinking, some white shirts on the ground, the railing around the goat pen, everything. I don't have any photos that were actually taken by her (Louie said there were 5 good ones in the first batch of 200-she's learning still). Adam manned the camera on our end and we got some good shots.

These are a few of my favorites. Serena and I watching the elephants, Miss Thing large and in charge with her new camera. (She wanted to walk everywhere even though we had a stroller). And Serena and I in front of the pandas. PS--Mom, check out my kicky new haircut.


After the zoo we came back home and had some yummy dinner and Deb made us a chocolate souffle treat, and of course, Serena helped. Then Serena and I declared a Pajama Party, so we got in our pjs and played until it was time for stories.

All in all a really great day I would say.

I'll post more on our Sunday later.

2 comments:

Larry and Pam said...

I like the new hair cut. Great day at the zoo. Giddy up!

Emily and Kolby said...

way to rep two-five! my blog is all about the shameless plugs, too. p.s. kolby got the dark knight on blu-ray for christmas and i've already had to see it three times.